ChocoSol is Vegan, Free of Dairy, Free of Nuts, Free of Soy, and Free of Gluten
It is with gravity that I/we must relate the following story to inform our customers and collaborators that due to the negligence and lack of consideration beyond our control we are unable to continue stating with full integrity that ChocoSol products are made in a kitchen that is free of nuts.
Despite oral and written agenda minutes documenting criteria of being nut free as criteria for the selection of new tenants in our co-designed community kitchen this was not communicated to the new tenant, and the result of this overdight was the selection of a tenant that uses nuts to bind their kale chips.
To protect the integrity of our product and with the help of the new tenant (BeNourished) and their staff, we have put protocol in place and set things in motion to change location ASAP.
a) We have put plastic walls around our production space.
b) Before nuts entered the kitchen we did a serious production run and filled the tempering room with chocolate that was made before nuts were present in the shared kitchen, and should last until mid-July or later.
c) We have begun the search for a new space. To maintain our vision this is what is demanded of us.
d) We have set additional cleaning protocol in place to control points where cross contamination could be possible:
- equipment from new tenant (BeNourished) used to process nuts is only cleaned in one dish washing sink
- all ChocoSol equipment is now washed in large bus bins which are removed from sinks after use
- before beginning cleaning any ChocoSol equipment the sinks are cleaned and sanitized
- we are no longer using the common drying area of the kitchen
- any ChocoSol products that have been packaged since the new tenants started using nuts have a marking on the label
What we have learned from this process is:
- that it is important to have detailed information in a lease before proceeding in good will
- that it is time for us to move to our own space in which we can set the tone, and maintain the integrity of our product, which is symbolic of our love of community, ecology, health, and hope.
It is our hope that by mid-August we will be operational in a new space where we can once again ensure that our product is free from nuts in the kitchen and that this new space will be one in which we will enjoy health, growth, and good will.
With regrets and with hope for understanding,
Founder of the ChocoSol Learning Community and Social Enterprise
Wychwood Barns PLUS
Evergreen Brick Works PLUS
Saturday, June 15 and Sunday, June 16:
Luminato: Future Tastes of Toronto – At the Kids’ Table from 12 noon to 7 on both days in the Distillery District. ChocoSol’s station is on Tank House Lane, just south of Mill Street off of Trinity Street. Click here for the site map (we’re booth #23).
Saturday, June 15:
Backyard Farm & Market at Erin Mills from 10 to 2 at the north east corner of Eglinton West and Erin Mills Parkway in Mississauga.
Sunday, June 16:
Thorpe’s Organic Market from 10 to 4 at 811 Millgrove Side Road in Hamilton.
Have you seen the poster for the Backyard Farm & Market at Erin Mills?
Until October 12, it’s every Saturday from 10 to 2 at the north east corner of Eglinton West and Erin Mills Parkway in Mississauga.
Click below for the poster:
Backyard Market Poster 2013
Thursday, June 13:
ChocoSol will be at the Metro Hall Farmers’ Market!!
Where: The market is usually at David Pecaut Square (King West and John) but for June 13 it will be in Simcoe Park beside the CBC Building; we’ll be at the Redline Coffee booth
When: 8 am to 2:30 pm
We’re gearing up for a fun and exciting weekend with you!! Can’t pick just one event? We don’t blame you (or expect you to). See you soon!!
1) Saturday, June 8: Evergreen Brick Works Farmers’ Market. We’re in the Local Food Court from 8 to 2 (the market is open 8 to 1).
2) Saturday, June 8: Wychwood Farmers’ Market from 8 to 12 noon.
3) Saturday, June 8: Backyard Farm & Market at Erin Mills from 10 to 2 at the north east corner of Eglinton West and Erin Mills Parkway in Mississauga. Click HERE to check out their poster.
4) Saturday, June 8: Georgetown Highland Games from 8:30 to 8.
5) Saturday, June 8 AND Sunday, June 9: Toronto Raw/Vegan Festival from 10 to 8 on Saturday and from 10 to 4 on Sunday at 918 Bathurst. Find us at Table 34, right when you enter the great hall.
6) Saturday, June 8 AND Sunday, June 9: Artisanal Food Market at Harbourfront Centre from 10:30 to 8 on Saturday and from 10:30 to 6 on Sunday at 235 Queen Quay West. We’re at Booth D31 in Zone 3.
7) Sunday, June 9: Fresh City Farms‘ Open Farm from 2 to 6 at 3290 Keele Street. Click HERE for the event details.
Tomorrow/Thursday: ChocoSol will be at the Metro Hall Farmers’ Market!!
Where: The market is usually at David Pecaut Square (King West and John) but for June 6 it will be in Simcoe Park beside the CBC Building; we’ll be at the Redline Coffee booth
When: 8 am to 2:30 pm
Who: You and ChocoSol